Daily DHHS Update From Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton
Coronavirus update for Victoria
File size must be less than 500kb
File types (jpg, png, gif)
Coronavirus update for Victoria
Victoria has recorded 384 new cases of coronavirus since yesterday, with the total number of cases now at 9,049.
The overall total has increased by 353 due to 31 cases being reclassified – largely due to duplication.
Within Victoria, 78 of the new cases are linked to outbreaks or complex cases and 306 are under investigation.
There have been six new deaths from COVID-19 reported since yesterday. They were a man and a woman in their 90s, two women and a man in their 80s and a man in his 70s. Four of the deaths are linked to aged care facilities. To date, 83 people have died from coronavirus in Victoria.
In Victoria at the current time:
• 1363 cases may indicate community transmission
• 4775 cases are currently active in Victoria
• 260 cases of coronavirus are in hospital, including 42 in intensive care
• 3937 people have recovered from the virus
• Of the total cases, 8387 cases are from metropolitan Melbourne, while 485 are from regional Victoria
• Total cases include 4481 men and 4471 women
• More than 1,536,600 tests have been processed
• Total number of healthcare workers: 775, active cases: 414
• There are 769 active cases relating to outbreaks in aged care facilities
Cases currently linked to public housing in North Melbourne, Flemington and Carlton are as follows:
• 306 cases are residents of various public housing towers in North Melbourne and Flemington. Investigations are continuing into how these cases are linked.
• 66 cases are residents of various public housing towers in Carlton. Investigations are continuing into if and/or how these cases are linked.
Active aged care outbreaks with the highest cumulative case numbers are as follows:
• 88 cases have been linked to Estia Aged Care Facility in Ardeer
• 86 cases have been linked to St Basil’s Home for the Aged in Fawkner
• 82 cases have been linked to Epping Gardens Aged Care in Epping
• 76 cases have been linked to Kirkbrae Presbyterian Homes in Kilsyth
• 62 cases have been linked to Menarock Life Aged Care Facility in Essendon
• 53 cases have been linked to Glendale Aged Care Facility in Werribee
• 51 cases have been linked to Batpcare Wyndham Lodge in Werribee
• 50 cases have been linked to Estia Aged Care Facility in Heidelberg
• 40 cases have been linked to Outlook Gardens Aged Care Facility in Dandenong North
• 39 cases have been linked to Arcare Aged Care Facility in Craigieburn
Single cases in staff members at the following aged care facilities have also been notified to the department – BUPA Aged Care in Woodend, Australian Unity Campbell Place in Glen Waverley, Opal South Valley in Geelong and BUPA Aged Care in Greensborough.
Cases currently linked to key outbreaks are as follows:
• 99 cases have been linked to Somerville Retail Services in Tottenham
• 89 cases have been linked to Bertocchi Smallgoods in Thomastown
• 76 cases have been linked to JBS in Brooklyn
• 50 cases have been linked to Australian Lamb Company in Colac
• 29 cases have been linked to the Woolworths Distribution Centre in Mulgrave
• 27 cases have been linked to LaManna Supermarket in Essendon Fields
• 19 cases have been linked to Respite Services Australia in Moonee Ponds
• 14 cases have been linked to the Linfox Warehouse in Truganina
• 10 cases have been linked to Don KR Castlemaine
• 10 cases have been linked to Aruma Disability Services in Pascoe Vale
• 5 cases have been linked to Laverton Cold Storage in Truganina
As investigations are undertaken throughout the day, these outbreak totals are likely to change as the public health team identify links between cases and identified outbreaks. Organisation based outbreaks totals include contacts as well as employees/residents/staff/students of that location/business.
People living in metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire are required to wear a face covering when leaving home for one of the four reasons.
There will be some reasons not to wear a face covering. For example, those who have a medical reason, children under 12 or during strenuous exercise.
Stage 3 “Stay at Home” restrictions are in force across metropolitan Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire.
“These restrictions are necessary because of the ongoing high number of cases,” said Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton.
“If you live in these areas, there are only four reasons to leave your home: shopping for food and essential items; care and caregiving; daily exercise; and work and study - if you can’t do it from home.
“These are tough measures, but this virus is not selective - it will impact anyone it encounters, and personal contact is the clear source of its transmission. We need everyone to do their part and ensure it is stopped in its tracks.”
Media enquiries: Department of Health & Human Services Media Unit (03) 9096 8860 or email@example.com
Cases by Local Government Area
Please find the latest COVID-19 notifications by local government areas below Note: • Residential location is the residential address provided when the case is notified.
• This is not where they were infected and may not be where the case currently resides.
• Numbers are correct as of 11.59pm last night but are subject to change as cases are followed up and data is analysed. This can include changes to residential addresses following case interviews.
• The last column shows the number of current active cases in an LGA. Active cases are defined as someone who has tested positive, is currently in isolation and being monitored by the Department and who has not yet recovered.
Confirmed Cases by LGA 28/07/2020
Confirmed cases (ever)
Active cases (current)
WYNDHAM 891 535
BRIMBANK 871 571
HUME 826 392
MELBOURNE 593 287
MOONEE VALLEY 503 218
WHITTLESEA 501 334
MORELAND 497 274
MELTON 397 245
CASEY 348 185
BANYULE 309 144
YARRA 259 155
MARIBYRNONG 249 143
DAREBIN 228 104
STONNINGTON 170 49 BOROONDARA 164 58
GREATER DANDENONG 162 124 HOBSONS BAY 149 80
MONASH 136 59
PORT PHILLIP 120 47
YARRA RANGES 119 83
GREATER GEELONG 111 35 WHITEHORSE 110 58
GLEN EIRA 104 38
KINGSTON 103 57
MANNINGHAM 99 40
INTERSTATE 89 10
UNKNOWN 82 76
MORNINGTON PENINSULA 81 12 FRANKSTON 76 29
NILLUMBIK 73 40
BAYSIDE 68 30
KNOX 68 38
CARDINIA 59 28
COLAC OTWAY 55 54 MAROONDAH 54 33
MITCHELL 41 15
BALLARAT 24 10
MACEDON RANGES 22 12 GREATER BENDIGO 21 11 GREATER SHEPPARTON 17 0 LATROBE 15 6
MOORABOOL 14 11
SURF COAST 13 3
WELLINGTON 13 0
MOIRA 11 0
GOLDEN PLAINS 10 6
HORSHAM 10 7
BAW BAW 9 3
SOUTH GIPPSLAND 9 4
BASS COAST 7 2
GLENELG 7 6
MOUNT ALEXANDER 7 1 CAMPASPE 6 1
OVERSEAS 6 1
SWAN HILL 6 2
WARRNAMBOOL 6 1
ARARAT 5 0
LODDON 5 2
MANSFIELD 5 1
MILDURA 5 0
NORTHERN GRAMPIANS 4 1
BENALLA 3 0
SOUTHERN GRAMPIANS 3 1
EAST GIPPSLAND 2 1
CORANGAMITE 1 0
MOYNE 1 0
Total 9049 477