Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






western-oval-works-start

Western Oval Works Start

Western Oval Works Start

Western Oval Works Set To Start

Colac Otway Shire is gearing up for the end of the football and netball season, and the start of the second stage of the Western Reserve Oval Redevelopment.

Article continues below

Colac Otway Mayor Cr Jason Schram said preliminary works for the oval upgrade would start this week and Council had been liaising with the clubs that used the reserve to minimise disruption.

“Imperial netballers who are through to finals will be able to train on their home courts, for example, but the reserve will be closed to the public from Friday. Western Reserve will be closed for preparation works from 23 August until midday on 29 August. The reserve will re-open for club and public use from midday on the 29 August, but close again from Monday 9 September until the works are completed at the end of March 2020.

“The oval works follow on from the lighting upgrade which we could carry out during the season and was completed a few months ago. The oval redevelopment will improve the playing surface at Western Reserve and include drainage, irrigation and turf works.”

Colac Otway Shire Council was successful in gaining a $500,000 grant towards the $862,500 Western Reserve Redevelopment Project, with AFL Victoria contributing $86,250 and Council contributing $276,250.

The State Government funding, announced by Western Victoria MP Gayle Tierney last year, was made available through the State Government’s 2018-19 Female Friendly Facilities Fund.

“This is a fantastic project and Colac Otway Shire looks forward to providing our sporting community with a quality playing surface and better access to the facilities with improved lighting which has already assisted footballers with their training,” Cr Schram said.

The Latest

Join Us

Streaming